TIPS ON ART COLLECTING
Ten things to remember when starting to collect art!
Tips for beginning art collectors as well as for experienced art collectors. Good reminders for anyone interested in art or already collecting art.
- Buy art because you like it and because it moves you, and because it will enhance your life.
- Visit as many art galleries as you can, gallery staff can be helpful guides in your art education.
- Get on gallery mailing lists so you'll be invited to openings and special events.
- Visit and join your local art museums and non profit art centers. Curators sometimes give lectures on collecting art.
- Attend National and International Art Fairs and Art Expos whenever possible.
- If you know art collectors, talk to them and find out what they know and what they've learned about collecting art.
- Read books on art history and books about collecting art.
- Subscribe to a few art magazines.
- Read reviews by local and national art critics, keeping in mind that reviews usually just reflect one persons opinion.
- Working with a professional art advisor / art consultant is a good way to learn about art collecting, and they will guide you through the process of purchasing art.
- Once you've educated yourself and have fallen in love with a work of art, buy it, take it home and enjoy it.